POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Return to PoVghanistan - smooth HF bug in 3.5? (6 x JPG 800 x 600, 180 KB) : Re: Return to PoVghanistan - smooth HF bug in 3.5? (6 x JPG 800 x 600, 180 KB) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 02:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Return to PoVghanistan - smooth HF bug in 3.5? (6 x JPG 800 x 600, 180 KB)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 10 Aug 2002 13:53:39
Message: <3D5561E0.F372B6EA@tiscalinet.de>
High!

Marc-Hendrik Bremer schrieb:

> This seems to be the known bug with smooth heightfields. Try
> "double_illuminate" with the Hf, this should remove the black spots.

This worked perfectly, but there is still something unfixed - in the foreground
of the attached image, the light grey surface of the dry river bed looks
perforated!

> In it's current state, your afganistan does not look at all as pre-war, to
> the opposite it looks like same nukeular-war :-)

Yes, it's somewhat macabre, but also my earlier attempts at graphical
Khyberspace (back in 1999 with Terragen) looked like thermonuclearly fried...

> BTW, are you sure you got
> the scale right? I can't imagine any reasonabele scaled buildings and people
> in conjunction with those hills/mountains.

The scale is 1 unit = 1 metre; the large purplish hill (left on the attached
image) for example rises about 350 metres above the surrounding plains (and
1,430 metres above sea level).

Of course I want to construct traditional Afghan adobe villages with their
typical qalas (rectangular mud fortresses), irrigated fields, karezes
(subterranean irrigation channels), then also paths lined with trees (e. g.
poplars - popolus afghanica), the steppe and semi-desert plains with dry grass
and thorny shrubs... but firstly, I'm quite uneasy about placing all those
objects correctly on the heightfield, regarding their position in the y
direction. I looked up the trace function, it seems somewhat cryptic to me...

And more theoretical, there is so much to read before on Afghan village layouts,

house types, irrigation systems, vegetation... and much much later, I also want
to model the human and animal inhabitants of the villages! Possibly even this
ridiculously small strip of land will occupy me for the rest of my life...

Before finishing for today, one last practical question: how do I get the
typical irregular structure of adobe walls? Of course I could use some turbulent

normal (which pattern?), but I unfortunately suffer from the ambition to do
everything as accurate as possible, so you might suggest using an isosurface...

See you in Khyberspace - http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/khyberspace/index-e.html
Afghanistan Chronicle: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/

Yadgar, crying out for an Athlon 1800+ with at least 2 gigs of RAM... ;-)))

Now playing: Beyond and Before (Yes)
Now encoding: Pierrot - Maui Morning (Chaitanya Hari Deuter)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'chakghar0016c.jpg' (26 KB)

Preview of image 'chakghar0016c.jpg'